Life insurance is considered as one of the best financial instruments to meet requirements at different stages of life.
It provides monetary security to your family after your demise. It plays a vital role and therefore it is advisable to understand your life insurance policy carefully to gain maximum benefits.
Let’s know how:
- Define your needs- You need to identify both your short and long-term needs separately. You need different financial instruments to achieve both these requirements. For instance, endowment plans help you save funds for particular needs such as buying a house. Similarly, retirement plans offer you a steady income post retirement.
- Review your insurance needs – You may have purchased the insurance policy to accomplish your different financial goals, such as child education, marriage, and retirement. It is imperative to carefully evaluate and review your insurance policies periodically to ensure that they are in accordance to your requirements. Once you settle down and have a family, you should invest in a term plan to ensure that your family continues to enjoy financial stability especially when you are no longer there to support them.
- Stay invested till maturity- Life insurance policies are designed to give you maximum benefits. Market-oriented policies such as endowment, whole life policy, and ULIPs are designed to offer dual advantages of insurance and investment and generate maximum returns. Therefore, it is important to understand the benefit of continuing to hold the policy till its maturity. Also, you should start investing early to enjoy the compounding effect.
- Maintain strict financial discipline- You should regularly pay your insurance premiums to keep your insurance policy active. In case you miss the premium due date, it may lead to policy lapse and your policy coverage may also get lowered. Also Read: Checkout: 9 Popular Life Insurance Premium Payment Options
- Opt for riders- Riders, such as premium waiver benefit and critical illness, give you additional protection by customizing the policy as per your requirements. While most of the policyholders choose them at the time of inception of the policy, some insurers offer you an option to buy riders later also to expand your insurance coverage.
- Check taxation benefits- Insurance is an effective tax saving tool. You can get tax deductions on the premium paid for both the life insurance policy and riders. You should always indulge in a periodical review of insurance policies to get maximum benefits out of it.
Curated from Tenets of Life Insurance